How to come – Visitor instructions
CHANIA KTEL – Daily return trips by coach from Chania to the Botanical Park at Fournes
|Start location||Departure time|
|Chania coach station (KTEL)||09:30|
|Botanical Park and Gardens of Crete to Platanias – Agia Marina – Stalos – Chania||14:30|
During the winter season, the timetable is subject to change. https://bus-service-crete-ktel.com
- Coordinates: 35.25.06 N, 23.56.22 E
- Direction signs point the way at select locations.
- From Chania city centre:
Head towards Omalos – Samaria Gorge. When you reach Fournes, take a right turn towards Lakkoi – Omalos. Continue for 2 km and you will reach the Botanical Park.
- From Rethymno and Heraklion:
Take the third exit to the right and take an immediate left turn towards Lakkoi – Omalos. When you reach Fournes, take a right turn towards Lakkoi – Omalos. Continue for 2 km and you will reach the Botanical Park.
- From Platanias:
At the Platanias Bridge, take a turn towards Patelari. When you reach Fournes, take a right turn towards Lakkoi – Omalos. Continue for 2 km and you will reach the Botanical Park.
The trail through the Botanical Park and Gardens of Crete is natural and entirely suitable for walking, covering a total hillside distance of approximately 2.5 km. At the beginning, the trail follows the mountain slope with ascending and descending routes to finish at the lake of the Park, followed by a twisty path leading to the exit and the restaurant of the Park.
- As the trails and the routes through the Park are natural and dependent on the soil composition, it is recommended that visitors wear comfortable shoes such as trainers.
- The average time needed for visitors to wander through the Gardens is approximately 2-2.5 hours. There is, however, no time limit on how long visitors can stay at the Gardens.
- During the summer season, the best time to visit the Gardens is in the morning to avoid excessive heat and to allow ample time for your stroll without any time pressure.
- As the Gardens are the natural habitat of wild animals, dogs are prohibited so as not to disrupt the ecosystem of the Gardens in line with the related regulations of the Greek Forestry Department. However, dogs are allowed on the premises of the Gardens restaurant.
- The Gardens feature several visitor rest areas.
- At the entrance of the Gardens is a restaurant offering panoramic views of the area, traditional dishes made of locally sourced, organic ingredients and products from the plants of the Park.
- The Botanical Park of Crete is open daily from early March to end of November, from 9:00 am to 8:30 pm in the evening. School or society visits and the use of the amphitheatre are welcomed upon prior consultation.
- Admission fee is 7 euros for adults and 4 euros for children aged between 6 and 12 years. Entry for children under 6 years old is free.